Agency: Save the Children
Position: WASH ASSISTANT
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response and child survival objectives in Somalia, through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation. The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, child protection and hunger reduction where required.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with the possibility of extension
Location: Mogadishu- Somalia
Qualifications and Experience
· Ordinary National Diploma in Public Health, Community Health, community development or Social studies
· Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Excellent communication skills
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Commitment to the aims and principles of in particular, a good understanding of the SCUK mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
· Computer literate
· A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
· Knowledge of the operating context in South and Central Somalia
· Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
· Knowledge of Somali language and its different dialects
· Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
· Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Application will be closed on 3rd Dec 2019.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents