P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on WebCruiter. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Rights Respected, People Protected
Advertiser: Norwegian Refugee Council
Ref. nr.: 4106886383Full timeNumber of positions: 1
Industry: Emergency Relief
Special field: Finance
Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Role Specific Information
The Finance Assistant is responsible for day-to-day financial accounting tasks at Kismayo office.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Take day to day responsibilities of managing petty cash and cash box
- Ensure daily, weekly, and monthly cash counts are done
- Record all cash movements and undertake periodic cash counts
- Assist in bank accounts and cash box reconciliations
- Follow up on advances and refunds
- Prepare and arrange for bank withdrawals and transfers and present for verification
- Verify all invoices, vouchers and receipts and supporting documents and enter in the system as appropriate
- Make all approved payments
- Maintain accurate financial and accounting files and transactions
- Maintain proper filling system for all financial and accounting documents
- Prepare periodic financial reports and submit for review
- Send monthly financial documents to the Mogadishu Country office
- Assist in preparation of financial reports, budgets and budget monitoring for projects
- In liaison with the Field offices make payments for the necessary field office expenses.
Generic professional competencies:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Diploma in Business Administration, Finance & Accounting
- Minimum of 2 years previous experience working in accounting department (preferably INGO).
- Experience from working with accounting in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own skills/profile
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Contract period: up to Dec 2019, with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.