Job Title: Senior Logistics Assistant
: 14th August 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Logistics Officer based in Mogadishu and overall supervision of the Head of Logistics, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide specialized support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries;
- Contribute to the planning and coordination or activities relating to the execution of airlift operation as per the needs of WFP;
- Monitor inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary;
- Oversee the dispatch and loading process and ensure that the quality and quantity of product does not have any discrepancy;
- Ensure that the commodity dispatched to the CP’s is dully labelled with handheld printer;
- Ensure that the Temperature Controlled Units (TCU) used to store nutritious products and medicines are well functioning and optimally used;
- Coordinate loading of the cargo aircrafts with UNHAS and airport authorities;
- Ensure the monthly distribution targets are reached and propose alternatives and solutions when unforeseen challenges are encountered;
- Provide daily, weekly and monthly reports on the logistics activities at the airport;
- Coordination meetings with partners and government with an effort to support Logistics Operations in Mogadishu;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience in one or more of the transportations and ancillary sectors; port operations, shipping, clearing and forwarding, air operations, large scale road/rail transport and distribution management gained from a reputable organization.
|Language:||Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somalia is a requirement.
|Knowledge and skills:||Knowledge of logistics, warehousing, commodity handling practices, previous UN experience, ability to work with different cultures. Experience maintaining corporate systems and running queries on ongoing shipments, pipeline information and food stock.|